From the PlantPure Kitchen Cookbook. Kim Campbell from PlantPure Nation says these Green Garden Burgers are just “perfect for summer, and loaded with whole grains, greens, and flavor. The quinoa gives them a nice texture with a bit of crunch around the edges.”
Yields: 4-6 burger
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon flax meal or chia seeds
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup kale leaves, (stems removed)
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 to 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Plant-based mayonnaise
- Sliced tomatoes
(You can find nutritional yeast in the bulk section of your local co-op grocery store or organic market.)
- Preheat the oven to 375° Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax meal (or chia seeds) and the ¼ cup water. Set aside to thicken.
- Combine the chickpeas, oats, red onion, garlic, kale, and carrots in a food processor. Pulse until everything is finely chopped with no large chunks.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor to a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked quinoa, flax mixture, tahini, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 4 to 6 equal patties and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- Serve the burgers on the buns, topped with mayonnaise, sliced tomatoes, and sprouts.
Learn more about plant-based eating at plantpurecommunities.org0