A DIY salad bar is always fun when you’re having friends over. This recipe is from the All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook. If you try this, we’d love to see pics! Tag us on Instagram @squarefootgardening
- 3/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 green onion
- 6 large parsley leaves
- 6 basil leaves (optional)
- 4-6 fist-size red potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup Nicoise olives
- 2 or 3 (5-ounce) cans tuna, finely drained
For the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, green onion, parsley, and basil in a blender or food processor. Process until herbs are pureed and the mixture is emulsified.
For the salad bar, cook the potatoes and green beans either separately or together in boiling salted water for 5 minutes (for the beans) to 8 minutes (for the potatoes) until tender; drain.
Combine the warm potatoes and beans separately with a little of the dressing.
Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, eggs, olives, tuna, potatoes, and beans in bowls. Set the dressing at the end of the “salad bar.”
Makes 6-8 side dish servings or 4 main dish servings.0