Here’s a recipe from our Square Foot Gardening cookbook that uses lots of great winter veggies, including carrots and spinach!
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar or 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground plack pepper
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds or sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 large or 6 small carrots, shredded
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, optional
For the dressing, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper into a bowl with a fork, or in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake to combine.
Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sesame seeds and toast for 2 minutes longer. Remove and cool.
Break up the noodles in the package; discard the flavor packets. Toast the noodles in a skillet over medium heat for 45 to 6 minutes until lightly toasted in places.
Combine the cabbage, carrots, green onions, spinach, almonds, sesame seeds and noodles in the bowl with the vinaigrette.
Toss to combine with dressing up to 1 1/2 hours before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings.1